Friday, August 18, 2006

We turned the corner

I think I had my proudest moment as a mother today. Danny has been taking swimming lessons for 6 weeks now. Every week is a struggle for him. He cries in his lessons and during the week asks if today is a swimming day. His teacher is firm but very good. There is no dunking and everything she does is safe and in his best interest. He's still afraid. His fear is stronger then his desire to learn so progress has been very slow. Today I was talking to Holden's teacher and she said that danny is about to turn the corner. Well, she was right. Today he did his usual trick of trying to get out of lessons and cried when we got there. However, he did get himself in the pool and swam for the first time on his own. He was so proud of himself he just kept on going while breathing on his own. I glanced over at him and saw a big smile on his face. He then started swimming out to the teacher over and over again. AT the end of the lesson the parent's on the side lines started clapping and cheering for him. One of the other moms came up to me and said she couldn't help but clap knowing how hard he's worked to overcome his fear.

No comments: