I want nothing more then strong, considerate, empathetic boys. In todays complex world where it seems like we have everything is that achievable?
Danny came home from school the other day talking about his friend's Grandfather. He died the week before. Danny said it so matter of factly with little feeling. I saw it as an opportunity to try and teach empathy. I explained to him that his Grandfather was like his Pop-Pop and that the little boy was sad because he was no longer here. WE talked about how we could try to make him feel better. WE ended up going to Barnes and Noble and picking up a book someone gave us called the "Invisible String" We wrote a nice note in it and are having his class sign it. I told Danny to sign his name and draw a picture. Next thing I know he's written Danny Roff Rat with a picture of a rat. He says he's writing rhyming words to make him smile!
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment